Guide for Private Residential Property Landlords

/ The Edge Property
June 10, 2016 12:00 PM SGT
Before renting out their property, landlords should take note of the following:
URA guidelines for renting out private residential properties
  • Private residential properties or the rooms within their premises should not be rented out on a short-term basis for less than six months on a daily/weekly/monthly basis
  • Renting out the whole unit or individual rooms for residential purposes is only allowed for long-term stays of six months or more if these conditions are met:
  • no internal partitioning works that alter the layout of the property to create more rooms. Such overcrowding can pose safety concerns
  • in the case of master tenancies or en-bloc leasing-out, there should only be one single tenancy agreement per residential unit to cover the number of occupants for the unit. This does not apply to a single property or individual owner who rents out rooms within his unit to different tenants
  • each occupant should have at least 10 sqm of space. The maximum number of occupants in a residential unit is eight, no matter how big the unit is
    • includes the owner if he is living within the premises
    • does not apply if the unit is occupied by a family who is not renting out the premise in any way
Immigration & Checkpoints Authority (ICA) Anti-Harbouring
Homeowners who wish to rent their premises to foreigners are required to exercise due diligence in checking the immigration status of their prospective foreign tenants to ensure that they are in Singapore legally.
Before renting your room, flat or house, you are required to carry out the following mandatory checks:
  • Check his original immigration pass and/or work pass
  • Cross-check the particulars of his pass against the particulars on his original passport
  • Verify the validity of his pass by checking with the issuing authority, which is the
  • or
Process of renting your property
  • Set your asking price. Consider engaging a real estate salesperson (property agent) who can assist you in pricing your rent
  • Check that the salesperson is registered with the Council for Estate Agencies (CEA)
  • Market your property. Your salesperson will assist you in this
  • List your property for rent
  • Screen...